Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sleepless: Wicked Wakefulness

Insomnia.
It's nearly 4 A.M. in the morning and I'm by my laptop wide awake in a deadly silent household, armed with pathetic re-runs of sitcoms and a rather bulky comforter wrapped across my shoulders.
It's practically unearthly as I look around and notice that everything in the surroundings has this pre-dawn eerie bluish glow emanating from them.
I'm wide-eyed and conscious as any Tuesday workaholic who is high on caffeine yet unable to do anything but sit at the glare of my screen in the dark.
Bathed in blue light, I can only imagine the horrific thought of having someone suddenly burst into the room, glaring at me with insanely terrifying eyes.
At this point, I remember a small snippet of information that many people normally don't remember in the wee hours of a lonely morning. An interesting fact- The Anglo-Saxons deeply believed that a miraculous remedy for insomnia is eating lettuce. Yes, Lettuce.
They believed that gnawing on green leafy vegetables could ward away and dispel the likes of sleep deprivation.
Hilarious, isn't it?
Now, you must excuse me. I seem to be in search of lettuce which is probably somewhere buried deep in my refrigerator.
I'm an insomniac.
I'm desperate.

No comments: