Friday, April 23, 2010

Bang that Gavel

Hundreds of teenagers conglomerated this weekend to debate and discuss issues that have bemused even the greatest intellectuals of our time. The annual Bahrain Model United Nations was hosted over a three day period this week to witness Bahrain’s best teenage orators strut their stuff, and to tap and harness their dormant potential. The standard of sophistication, maturity, responsibility and critical thinking was extremely impressive and it only goes to show what Bahrain’s youth is capable of doing when it puts its mind to the task.
On issues ranging from curbing the repercussions of the recent eruption of Eyjafjallajokull to the eradication of the illicit rough diamond trade, student delegates battled it out with such conviction and passion that Generation X may go as far as to say that they feel secure knowing that the future of the world lies in our hands.

The Bahmun weekend was an invigorating experience indeed; I got to meet people from different schools, countries and even beliefs. A true epitome of the purpose was that despite our differences, we collaborated for a common cause.
It would be great if Bahrain could host more of these programs, seeing that it involves a great deal of student participation and spreads awareness. It also involves lobbying and merging resolutions and clauses, researching extensively on problems and solutions, considering the multi-faceted real-time solutions from all perspectives and having the courage to promote your stance to hundreds, standing nervously at a wooden podium, draped with the brilliant blue UN flag – preparing us for the future.
It was heart-warming to see that even though teenagers have had a bad precedent of being aloof and uncaring, so many of them had the courage to prove this common perception wrong. We, as teenagers, do care – and we believe we can make a difference. We have bright, fresh ideas for the world though sometimes find it hard to channel them effectively due to the dearth of such enriching conferences.
In addition, Model United Nations and similar events are eye-openers; a week back I was unaware that 1% of the world’s diamonds have been tainted with the cruel slaughter and gruesome bloodshed in conflict wars in Africa and now, I find myself well-read on the history of Blood Diamonds.

Thus, I feel glad knowing I was apart of this wonderful event, met lots of great people and contributed to the united step towards change. I had a great time and as an added bonus, got to look important and diplomatic in a black suit, with a personalised flag pin-badge!

4 comments:

Mohamed Toorani said...

Hallo, I'd like to say I'm a very hude fan of yours ( I read your column in the newspaper). I wanted to be part of BAHMUN but It was in the middle of my exams so i Had to cancel it :S

Although I had the privilege of being in the YLC of 2010 ( I was UAE in GCC :P )

The Scribbler Kid said...

Thank you so much :)That's rreally nice of you!

Thanks for taking the time out to browse through my admitedly unbelievably neglected, un-updated blog :) Hopefully, the summer will heal it.

Aww, I'm sorry you couldn't be at Vahmun... maybe next year? :) I happen to be at YLC 2010 too(!) as the delegate of Mexico to the IAEA.

Which school do you go to here? :)

Mohamed Toorani said...

Sorry for the late reply :s

I was representing the UAE in the GCC. It was very fun (considering the fact that we were only 6 countries in a little cozy room :) )


Once again, sorry for the late reply.

Mohamed Toorani said...

I'm from Al Noor International School.

It's a nice school, spent my whole life in it :)