Friday, October 9, 2009

Which Books made the Shelf?

Before we get on with it, here's a notice: Read Gulf Weekly. My column actually came out... not half bad! Hopefully my run of luck will continue.
This week has been crazy, hectic and nerve-wrecking with life-changing decisions being made. Big thing to say for a now sixteen year old. But that's life, every decision we make seems to rattle the future as we know it.

Here are the Books I'm reading/ I have read over the summer and early autumn:

*CHERUB- Robert Muchamore: A book about teenagers(and kids) working undercover as spies; the main objective being that no self-respecting adult would believe a kid was doing the espionage job. Apparently it is a well-sought after book for young adults and is raved about by teens. Still reading.

*Benny and Omar- Eoin Colfer: Hilarious, light-hearted and engrossing- Colfer has pulled off a captivating story with laugh out loud moments and true emotions. There is an impressive character development, helping readers relate to alot of scenarios and helps them see the outrageous exploits through Benny's Irish eyes. A great read and a cheer-me-up book that is sure to make you laugh. Truly Irish.

*Holes- Louis Sachar: I must confess that hadn't I seen the movie, I wouldn't have picked up this book with the drab cover and no synopsis on the book jacket. Goes to show you never judge a book by its cover. Though the writing style is a bit choppy it helps you to live in the moment and imagine it from the point of view of a chubby, innocent kid with a bit of 'farm' in him. It's an original concept and that's the best plus point this book holds. And yes, Shia LaBoeuf had something to do with me reading the book. Still Reading. Not decided on character development of book.

*The Second Summer of the Sisterhood of Travelling Pants- Ann Brashares: The first movie showed promise otherwise I wouldn't have picked up the book. I hate choosing books based on movies but nowadays it happens inevitably. First off, girly. Girly, girly, girly. And why is that wrong? Because I don't read those kind of books. Yet this book did have something below the surface that made me read on. I rather grudgingly sort of liked it. The parts about Bee were my favourites as the character was so polished and deep and emitted positive radiation. Tibby's part came in second. But what made me nauseous was the Lena parts. Help! It was mushy and just too much, and made me hate the book at that point of time. Boy, that girl's got some hormone issues. Carmen's role was mediocre and her character could have used a better development. She should have been deeper and more philosphical, like my expectations. A good tie-up none the less. It far surpassed its frayed movie nonetheless.

*The Wish List- Eoin Colfer: A MUST-READ!!! You'll fall off your chair with stitches in your sides. This roll-on-the-floor book is highly unique and the plot is so ingenious. Dead girl done both good and bad. Now heaven and hell fight for her soul. It's an epic struggle. The best thing about Colfer's fantasy writing is the way he interweaves technology with the magic, making it more relatable and a lot more humorous. This book is multilayered with alot of vivid emotion and deep philosophy making you question life itself. Thought provoking! What are you waiting for? Run to the library and GET IT!

More reviews will be posted soon. Till then, Keep Reading!

No comments: